Not far from Telavi in the village Shuamta, fragments of monasteries Shuamta Old and New Shuamta. These two monasteries are quite different from each other in architecture and were created at different times.
Ancient temple Shuamta, is one of Georgia’s oldest Orthodox churches. It survived three-level basilica of the V century to the present day, as well as two cross-domed church, dating back to VII century.
Approximately a 10-minute walk from the ancient temple Shuamta the cathedral of the XVI century. Painting it a relatively modern. Ruined temple was rebuilt Irakli II in 1762. In the XIX century it has been renovated from the outside. Shuamta new temple is a typical example of medieval architecture of Kakheti.